In 2008, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) launched a two-year initiative to respond to the need to assess and transform the nursing profession. The IOM appointed the Committee on the RWJF Initiative on the Future of Nursing, at the IOM, with the purpose of producing a report that would make recommendations for an action-oriented blueprint for the future of nursing.
- Recommendation 1: Remove scope-of-practice barriers.
- Recommendation 2: Expand opportunities for nurses to lead and diffuse collaborative improvement efforts.
- Recommendation 3: Implement nurse residency programs.
- Recommendation 4: Increase the proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80 percent by 2020.
- Recommendation 5: Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020.
- Recommendation 6: Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning.
- Recommendation 7: Prepare and enable nurses to lead change to advance health.
- Recommendation 8: Build an infrastructure for the collection and analysis of inter-professional health care workforce data.
For more information visit www.iom.edu/nursing
How to join
To join the Student Nurses Association of Arizona (SNAAZ), a student must have an active National Student Nurses Association (NSNA). For more information contact NSNA by phone at (718) 210-0705 or website at www.nsna.org. You can also contact SNAAZ by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Membership is available to any student in a nursing Associates, Diploma, RN to BSN, Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral program preparing student for Registered Nurse licensure. Sustaining membership in NSNA is available to corporations, agencies, schools, and individuals who do not qualify as nursing students. This membership category is for the support of the mission, vision, and goals of the NSNA.
Benefits of a SNAAZ/NSNA Membership
SNAAZ/NSNA members are entitled to many benefits such as:
- Delegate representation in the annual House of Delegates at both the SNAAZ and NSNA conventions.
- Eligible to submit resolutions to the SNAAZ/NSNA House of Representatives.
- Eligible for contest, awards, and scholarships at the local, state, and national levels.
- Affiliation with an influential state student nurses association offering many opportunities to advance and participate.
- Networking with students, nurses, nursing leaders, and companies from all around the United States and the world.
- A free year subscription to NSNA’s Imprint magazine. It is a magazine specifically for nursing students.
- Eligibility to attend and participate in School, State, and National programs and conventions.
How Much Does It Cost
The annual membership fee for SNAAZ/NSNA is $32.00